- To be eligible for the Scholarship, the student must:
- Be a young man of African American or Latin-X heritage.
- Be a United States citizen (subject to verification)
- Parent/Legal Guardian and Student must be a resident or is graduating from a high school in Kings County (Brooklyn)
- Be a graduating high school senior that is accepted and planning to enroll in an accredited postsecondary institution*
*Approved accredited institutions are defined as accredited, postsecondary two or four-year colleges or universities in the United States. Proof of enrollment is a condition of eligibility for a scholarship award and will be required before funds will be disbursed.
Interested students must complete the scholarship application along with the following:
- A 400-word minimum typed essay (see essay topic on application)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one must be from a teacher, counselor, or school official).
- Official transcript of grades (2.5 out of 4.0 GPA required).
- Community Service (minimum of 30 hours) -Must produce signed letter from an organization/church affiliation on official letterhead.
- Current photo of applicant
This application can also be found on the Kappa Beta Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity website: Brooklyn Sigma
APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY!
The application and all required supporting documents (transcript, letters of recommendation, and essay) must be submitted by May 31, 2023. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered!
All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by the K B S Foundation Limited and the Education Committee of the Kappa Beta Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated.